top of page

Real Property Insurance

The following posts are not legal advice. If you are need to retain counsel to seek legal advice, you can contact us at 734-648-8030.

Ice JPEG_edited.jpg

Most people understand the basics of fire prevention. Water loss prevention receives much less attention, but can be just as destructive to property. Most policies have many exclusions for many different kinds of water losses. Fortunately, one of the most common causes of water losses, the sudden failure of pressurized water pipes, is generally covered, and the following tools and strategies can greatly reduce the of it causing major damage: 1. Water Shutoff Valves, 2. Smart Thermostats. . . .


Charlotte McCray 
June 21, 2023 • 4 min

Doug McCray 
June 1, 2023 • 4 min

Doug McCray Property Insurance Attorney

What are recorded statements and examination under oaths in the insurance context, what do they mean for your claim, and should you have an attorney for them?

Charlotte McCray 
April 17, 2023 • 2 min


Doug's new article Water Damage: What Does the Seepage and Leakage Exclusion Actually Exclude?  was just published in the Journal of Insurance and Indemnity Law. It addresses "gradual or repeated leakage or seepage" exclusions that apply to slow, low volume leaks that cause damage over "weeks, months or years," such as a dripping drain pipe under a sink. If discovered early, virtually all of the. . . . 

bucket catching leak under sink

Water Damage: What Does the Seepage or Leakage Exclusion Actually Exclude?


Charlotte McCray 
May 8, 2020 • 4 min

The Journal of Insurance and Indemnity just published Doug's new article on agent errors and omissions. You can read it here, starting on page 5. While we usually sue insurance companies, occasionally an agent negligently fails to procure the correct insurance for a property and the coverage gap goes unnoticed till a loss occurs. In these cases, it may be necessary to sue the agency, which is typically able to pay out of its own professional errors and omissions insurance. . . .

man typing mistakes

Agent Errors and Omissions: Can I Sue?


Many business-owners have commercial insurance policies with coverage for loss of business income. However, these generally apply to situations in which “direct physical loss or damage” to property requires the business to suspend its operations while repairs are completed. Are business income losses caused by a pandemic covered? In Michigan, the answer will likely vary from case to case. . . .

Doug McCray Property Insurance Attorney

Doug McCray 
April 7, 2020 • 2 min

Are Covid-19 Shut-Downs Covered by Business Interruption Insurance?

Doug McCray 
Oct 8, 2018 • 4 min

Doug McCray Property Insurance Attorney
person signing form

After a loss, you may be required to submit a “sworn statement in proof of loss." This document is usually 1-2 pages long, and typically requests core information regarding you and your claim, and supporting documents such as inventories and estimates. They are often due within 60 days of the loss or of the insurance company’s request, though the exact timing requirements vary and are set forth in each policy. They are important to fill out accurately and thoroughly, and to submit on time, preferably by a method where you can verify the insurance company's receipt. . . .

What is a Sworn Statement in Proof of Loss?

bottom of page